Price: $199.00 - FREE TO MEMBERS!
Add to Cart
On Demand Webinar
Shop Drawings: Risks and Obligations in the Preparation and Review Process
Risks & Obligations in the Preparation and
Stephen A. Hess
Sherman & Howard, LLC
Great, concise presentation of the subject matter!
Gregory Christian AIA
Very detailed presentation. I think I would be interested in other presentations.
Very informative webinar and I would definitely attend others in the future.
Summer Special - Includes 1-year subscription to
Construction Claims Advisor - a $379 value!
-Expires August 1, 2022
-- includes 100+ FREE construction webinar downloads
*See below for selected titles
Shop drawings are an integral part of the construction process and present unique legal challenges. Design professionals are generally responsible for plans and specifications, while contractors are responsible for the means and methods they employ to construct a project. Construction details are often produced by contractors and their subcontractors, however, and reviewed by the design professional before being utilized.
In this manner, constructors and subcontractors may venture into the design process and subject themselves to its attendant risks and liabilities. The production and use of these “shop drawings” involves a carefully orchestrated flow of papers, and attention to each party’s proper role is important for minimizing risk.
In this informative 90-minute program, Stephen A. Hess of Sherman & Howard LLC presents an overview of the rights and responsibilities of the parties with respect to the use of shop drawings. Attend this program to:
- Review the role of shop drawings in construction
- Learn the traditional legal obligations of architects, engineers, contractors, and subcontractors for design and construction
- Understand how standard form contracts allocate responsibility for shop drawings
- Become conversant with design professionals’ responsibilities and liabilities associated with shop drawing review
- Implement proper care and handling of shop drawings to limit unintended liabilities
- Appreciate the relationship among specifications, shop drawings, and the Spearin Doctrine
- And much, much more!
Who Will Benefit?
This presentation is a must if you’re a public or private owner, construction manager, contractor, subcontractor, consultant, architect, engineer or attorney.
This event features key insights from our knowledgeable construction expert:
Stephen A. Hess has been identified as a Best Lawyer in America in “Construction Law” and in “Litigation – Construction” through his practice with Sherman & Howard, LLC in Colorado. In addition to serving clients on matters around the country, Mr. Hess is an active author, scholar, and speaker. He is currently the Editor of the American Bar Association’s law review The Construction Lawyer, previously served as Editor of Construction Briefings, a national construction law review, and has edited national construction law treatises. Mr. Hess has written numerous law review articles on topics covering the breadth of construction law and litigation, has spoken nationally at construction law programs, has written several treatises on litigation-related issues, and is an Adjunct Professor at Sturm College of Law (University of Denver), where he created the school’s Construction Law Seminar. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Construction Arbitrators.
* A subscription to the biweekly Construction Claims Advisor newsletter includes access to more than 100 on-demand webinars on a multitude of topics, white papers, surveys and much more. Sample webinars include:
- Procurement: Architectural Copyrights, Alternative Project Delivery Systems, Role of Soils: From Site Investigation to Claims, and AIA vs ConsensusDOCs.
- Project Management: Drones in Construction, Lean Techniques, Productivity Improvement, Construction Project Management, Dealing with Schedule Approval Issues, and Total Quality Management.
- Building Information Modeling (BIM): Contractor Case Studies, Working with Standard BIM Contract Documents, and BIM Strategies.
- Construction Claims: Dealing with Scope Creep, Checklist of Sound Legal Advice to Avoiding Disputes & Lawsuits, Trends in Construction Claims and Disputes, 20 Common Mistakes that Construction Owners & Contractors Make that Cause Claims and Disputes, and Successfully Avoiding Claims (Specifications and Construction Management Practices).
- Schedule Training: Scheduling Best Practices: Scheduling as a Management Tool, Scheduling Tips and Tricks, and Weather Planning on Construction Projects: Addressing Delays and Time Extensions.
- LEED, Commissioning & Sustainability: Emerging Risks in Green Design and Construction, Commissioning Best Practices for Existing Buildings, Indoor Air Quality Testing, Improving Energy Efficiency for Existing Buildings, Green Construction Contracts, Retro Commissioning, and Economics of Green Building.
- And much, much more.