Substantial Completion, Final Completion
& Closing Out a Project
Stephen Hess & Allison Mikulecky
Sherman & Howard, LLC
** Holiday Special **
Includes a 1-year subscription to Construction Claims Advisor (a $329 value).
-- includes 50+ FREE construction webinar downloads (Expires December 17).
*See below for selected titles
Great, concise presentation of the subject matter!
Gregory Christian AIA
Very detailed presentation. I think I would be interested in other presentations.
Very informative webinar and I would definitely attend others in the future.
"Substantial completion" is an important milestone in any construction project and may define important of rights and responsibilities between the parties ranging from the commencement of warranties to the termination of liquidated damages to release of retention, and many other allocations of obligations among the parties. "Final completion" bears similar importance. These contract concepts may also play a definitive role in extra-contractual considerations for such issues as lien or bond claims, statutes of limitation and statutes of repose.
Given the importance of these concepts, participants in the construction industry do well to heed the definitions and ramifications of substantial and final completion, and related topics like certificates of occupancy. A thorough understanding of these issues and careful attention to their details during construction can save inestimable time and money where wasteful disputes might otherwise arise after the project is done.
In this informative 90-minute recorded webinar program, Stephen A. Hess A. Hess and Allison Mikulecky of Sherman & Howard LLC present an overview of substantial completion, final completion, and the closing out of a project. Listen to this program to:
- Learn the rights and responsibilities tied to these important milestones
- Understand how "substantial completion" is defined and certified under standard for contracts
- Review key consequences of substantial completion under state statutes
- Appreciate the potential differences between substantial completion and issuance of certificates of occupancy
- Recognize the consequences of partial determinations of substantial completion
- Protect your rights in focusing on proper achievement of completion milestones
- And much, much more!
Who Will Benefit?
This webinar is a must if you’re a public or private owner, construction manager, contractor, subcontractor, consultant, architect, engineer or attorney.
This event features key insights from our knowledgeable construction expert:
Stephen A. Hess has been identified as a Best Lawyer in America in “Construction Law” and in “Litigation – Construction” through his practice with Sherman & Howard, LLC in Colorado. In addition to serving clients on matters around the country, Mr. Hess is an active author, scholar and speaker. He previously served as the Editor of the American Bar Association’s law review The Construction Lawyer, as well as Editor of Construction Briefings, a national construction law review, and has edited national construction law treatises. Mr. Hess has written numerous law review articles on topics covering the breadth of construction law and litigation, has spoken nationally at construction law programs, has written several treatises on litigation-related issues, and is an Adjunct Professor at Sturm College of Law (University of Denver), where he created the school’s Construction Law Seminar. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Construction Arbitrators.
Allison Mikulecky practices in Sherman & Howard's Litigation, Trial and Appeals, Construction, and Government Contract Practice Groups. She assists clients in the area of construction, government contracts, and general commercial litigation. Allison is a Member of the National Association of Women in Construction. She joined Sherman & Howard after graduating from the University of Missouri School of Law where she was the Lead Articles Editor for the Journal of Environmental and Sustainability Law.
* A subscription to the biweekly Construction Claims Advisor newsletter includes access to more than 50 on-demand webinars on a multitude of topics, white papers, surveys and much more. Sample webinars include:
- Procurement: Architectural Copyrights, Alternative Project Delivery Systems, Role of Soils: From Site Investigation to Claims, and AIA vs ConsensusDOCs.
- Project Management: Drones in Construction, Lean Techniques, Productivity Improvement, Construction Project Management, Dealing with Schedule Approval Issues, and Total Quality Management.
- Building Information Modeling (BIM): Contractor Case Studies, Working with Standard BIM Contract Documents, and BIM Strategies.
- Construction Claims: Dealing with Scope Creep, Checklist of Sound Legal Advice to Avoiding Disputes & Lawsuits, Trends in Construction Claims and Disputes, 20 Common Mistakes that Construction Owners & Contractors Make that Cause Claims and Disputes, and Successfully Avoiding Claims (Specifications and Construction Management Practices).
- Schedule Training: Scheduling Best Practices: Scheduling as a Management Tool, Scheduling Tips and Tricks, and Weather Planning on Construction Projects: Addressing Delays and Time Extensions.
- LEED, Commissioning & Sustainability: Emerging Risks in Green Design and Construction, Commissioning Best Practices for Existing Buildings, Indoor Air Quality Testing, Improving Energy Efficiency for Existing Buildings, Green Construction Contracts, Retro Commissioning, and Economics of Green Building.
- And much, much more.