Turner Construction Company has been recognized as the leading contractor in the adoption of BIM technology inBuilding Design & Construction's 2009 Giants 300 rankings. Through Turner's commitment to integrating technology into the delivery of its pre-construction and construction services, the company's portfolio of projects utilizing BIM represents more than $20 billion of construction on 100 projects.
Building Design & Construction ranked Turner as the top contractor with the most BIM Seat Licenses and eighth overall in the survey. With 530 seats, Turner is only one of two pure contractors to rank in the top 50 of the survey. (The other contractor was Mortenson Construction.)
"Through the utilization of BIM on Turner's projects, we are changing the way we think about the building process and are able to achieve significant cost and schedule savings for our clients," said Peter J. Davoren, president and CEO of Turner Construction Company.
Turner projects utilizing Building Information Modeling include:
- Yale University Health Services Center, New Haven, Conn.
- New Settlement Community Campus for New York School Construction Authority in Bronx, N.Y.
- Sacramento International Airport Terminal modernization program -Airside concourse project in Sacramento, Calif.
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia's Colket Translational Research Building in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Virtual West Jersey Replacement Hospital in Voorhees, N.J.
- The Stanford University Graduate School of Business Knight Management Center in Stanford, Calif.
- Nine-building research and development facility on Aberdeen Proving Ground in Aberdeen, Md.
- Mirabella Continued Care Community (CCRC) for Pacific Retirement Services Inc. in Seattle, Wash.
BIM software develops 3D models of major building components from its architectural and structural elements to its HVAC, electrical, plumbing and fire protection systems and integrates them into one comprehensive model -- enabling building partners to evaluate and identify clashes and inconsistencies prior to construction.
Through its use of BIM, Turner is able to accelerate collaboration and sharing of critical information with the owner, owner's representatives, and its architecture and engineering partners to support fast-track decision making. Issues are identified and resolved virtually, rather than during the process of construction. Measurable benefits of 3D modeling include improvements in the schedule, quality, cost and safety on projects.